Writer And Performer
“Captain of her genre and an asset to heroines; she is a committed, diligent writer and sparkling storyteller.”
Karen Gregor, Producer BBC R4
Scribbling down what comes to mind and researching with erudite passion, Kittie writes to entertain. Something of an expert on burlesque theatre and something else as a purveyor of the peculiar, she creates comic sketches and burlesques for stage, informative essays and creative prose for pondering and scripts, history and sound bites for the industry, press and media.
Coiner of phrases and pundit of punning her insightful quips are often quoted by her contemporaries and followers. Employing a love of history, controversy, humour, psychology and anthropology, her style is reflective and attempts to explore misrepresented and forgotten subjects with an appreciation of the absurdity of perspective. With a knack for aphorisms her flowing style has wide appeal earning her recognition as a talented wordsmith.
Her unfolding oeuvre features:
Ministry of Burlesque Resources:
Essays and information from Kittie’s own original research made freely available to the burlesque community. A history of burlesque, the development of the genre and styles, Frequently Asked Question from new performers and further comprehensive resources are all compiled here.
Kittie takes dictation for the mysterious furry philosopher ‘Professor Geoffrey‘ - a purple cat. He is a very thoughtful purple cat with a lot time on his paws. As he is a cat, he can’t use the Mac very well to blog his quips so he dictates and Kittie jots it all down. Any typos are her fault entirely.
- Burlesque Undressed – EMI/NightFall Films/Immodesty Blaize. Contributor: History & Commentary.
- My Alter Ago (episode 2) – BBC Radio 4. Biographical tale of Eliza Vestris.
- Victorian Values – Comedy. Ongoing production, Ministry of Burlesque.
- Les Fabulous Troubadours – Short Film.
- The Six Penny Opera – Short Film.
- Victorian Values – various scenes (which are made up of sketches) including:
- The Perils of Social Intercourse.
- Séance & Sensibility.
- The Piccadilly Prowler (based on song by Matt Devereaux).
- Prêt A Morte -Fashion To Die For.
- Sketches for Kittie’s own performance.
- Burlesque sketches for various performers. Private Commissions.
- Burlesque Undressed – EMI/NightFall Films/Immodesty Blaize. History & Commentary.
- Various essays and articles on topics of ‘anomalous experience’ & parapsychology.
- Various essays and articles on the history of Classical Burlesque and it’s star writers and players.
- Currently undertaking research on the identity of the modern burlesque genre.
Published Press/Magazine Articles:
- The Independant, September 2008. Online feature of social-psychological insights in to ‘Fetish’.
- Bizarre magazine. July 2008. Guest Feature Writer incl. cover story – The Real Burlesque Story, The Darker Side of Burlesque, Top UK Burlesque acts.
- Bizarre magazine. January 2008. Kittie’s Top Ten Burlesque Acts
- Forum Magazine. Issue 40.7, 2006. Editor At Large. Articles on Style; Interviews with performers and freak shows; personal column.
- Alternative London. Issue 10, 2005. Columnist. Parapsychologist’s Column and also a feature on Bettie Page.
- Erotic Review. Issue 66, 2004. Feature Writer. Coming out of the closet “ Victorian Spiritualism and the Vaudeville Striptease – Article on the dubious nature of the early spiritualism movement.
- Erotic Review. Issue 67, 2004. Feature Writer. ‘Queen Hatshepsut, King of the Nile’ – Article on the legendary Egyptian Pharaoh.
- Ministry of Burlesque/CastList Ltd
- Burlesque Theatre/Nightfall Films
- Dennis Publishing
- EPS Publishing
- Independent News & Media plc.
- Karen Gregor – BBC Radio 4
- James Malach – Victorian Values
- Mark Carter – Victorian Values
- Nick Walker – Les Fabulous Troubadours
- Dorian Crook – Les Fabulous Troubadours
- Robin Ince – Les Fabulous Troubadours